Monday 13 June 2011

Honbu Dojo: Training with Suganuma sensei

Today was the first time I had a chance to go to the Honbu Dojo which is a bit of a bicycle ride from where I stay. With help from a friend I managed to find this place and I must say that this is one of the newest dojo's I have seen in Fukuoka. The inside is great with showers and all modern facilities. First floor has a room that is being used for calligraphy class after the aikido practice.
At this training I have a feeling there were many highly graded participants. As always with the classes that Suganuma sensei have it goes all so fast and suddenly the hour is over. The class was great and I was able to experience some really good basic techniques. The role of the uke has for me the last few practices been changed because the expectations from tore is different. Maybe it is just me but there is something different in the way they do the techniques here. As uke they expect you more or less to go straight down to the floor if you can. I'v learned that I need to move towards tore on nikyo as to not get hurt in my wrist. I am exploring the landscape of being close to tore, but safe. I am still a bit sore in my wrist after the sankyo practice with Nishida in Takasago last week.

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I'll be moving to Fukuoka next year. I've practiced Aikido for a long time and speak Japanese. I wonder whether we might correspond at some point so I can hear about your experiences at the various dojos. Many thanks. I can be reached at murasaki2454@yahoo.com.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It is the old what goes around comes around routine. aikido

    ReplyDelete